Developing Countries Will Lead Global Rice Import Growth in 2013-22, Says USDA Rice growers positive California MG prices are UP Russia MG Harvest coming to end Egypt open rice exports Vietnam’s rice export in tough competition with India Thai rice exports in May Rise Above Target This Year Viet-Nam Rice exports likely to fall this year
Australia Medium Grain Rice #1 $ N/A    Egypt 101 #2 $760    Egypt 178 #2 Rice $730    EU Prices Baldo €660    EU Prices LG-A Ariete 5% €550    EU Prices MG Lotto 5% €500    EU Prices RG Balilla 5% €500    Russia Rapan $ 700    USA Jupiter Paddy $375    USA Calrose #1 Paddy $480    USA Jupiter Rice $630    USA Calrose #1 $830   

 Main Page
 Home Page of This Title
 Medium Grain Rice Market
 Global Market News
 Grain News
 Pulses News
 Global Overview
 Importers Profile
 Exporters Profile
 What Is Rice
 History Of Rice
 Rice Harvest Seasons
 Rice Processing
 Rice Nutrition Facts
 Meals With Rice
 Restaurants
 INCO Terms
 Ports
 US Rice Standards
 EU Codex Standards
 Egyptian Specs
 Sponsor List
 All Links
 Rice
 Grain
 Agriculture
 Commodity Exchange
 Weather
 Other
 Info
 Editor
 Advertisement
 Technical
Search in news database
Philippines to be 97% Self-Sufficient in Rice Next Yr: Minister
Asia Pulse
MANILA, The Philippines is expected to be 97 per cent self-sufficient in rice next year.
This was the fearless conservative forecast of Agriculture Secretary Luis Lorenzo, Jr. who attributed the projected feat to the increasing use of hybrid rice and certified seeds by Filipino farmers, barring bad weather.
"And with God's blessing, we may be 100 per cent self-sufficient by that time," Lorenzo told the media in a briefing in Malacanang.
Lorenzo said that presently, the Philippines is 94 per cent self-sufficient in rice, higher than the 88 per cent self-sufficiency figure in 2000 when the country could produce only 12.39 million metric tons (MT).
As of June 1, the country's total rice stock stood at 2.11 million MT, which is equivalent to an 80-day supply.
Lorenzo also reported rising self-sufficiency levels in corn, due to the grain's importance to the poultry and livestock sectors.
"We are 67 per cent self-sufficient (in corn) today, compared to 60 per cent sufficiency three years ago," he said.
The DA expects to produce 80 per cent of the country's corn requirements by 2004, leaving only 20 per cent for imports, Lorenzo added.
The total corn inventory as of June 1 stood at 184,000 MT.
Lorenzo said that for sugar, the country produces 97 per cent of its needs as output this year is expected to hit 2.13 million MT, the highest in 30 years.
He said sugar self-sufficiency would reach 100 per cent next year.
He expressed confidence that by 2005 the Philippines would be rejoining "the ranks of sugar exporters, a status we used to enjoy two decades ago."
MGR Archive 23.7.2003
Printer Friendly Version Of This Article
Send This Article To A Friend
User Name:
Password:
      Forgot your Password?
Region Type Price  
Russia Rapan $ 700
USA Jupiter Rice $630
USA Calrose #1 $830
USA Calrose #1 Paddy $480
EU Prices Baldo €660
Click for Details

Medium Grain Reports
Rice Market News
World Rice Markets and Trade
USDA Country Reports
Rice Market Monitor
Rice Outlook
Italian Paddy Supply
European Rice Weekly
EU Reports
Convert this amount:


Convert
  © 2002 All rights reserved. - Legal Notice